Good evening!! (Or morning, afternoon, depending on where you are..) I am so glad you enjoyed yesterday’s guest post by Ameena! It definitely made me laugh but also gave me some things to think about 😉
Anyhow, I did tell you that we have the results of my CT scan back but we aren’t sure what they mean? And my doctor’s office was supposed to call today and explain them… but alas, they have not called. Ummm results in doctor terminology do me no good… BUT my mom works at a nursing home and she showed the results to someone who is partially knowledgeable about things like this and she gathered some things from the results. I’ll tell you what the results say and then how she interpreted it:
- “subtle periosteal bridging callus formation in the lateral aspect of the fracture line” – Which means that the bones are starting to heal and repair the break, but barely (hence the “subtle”)
- “findings consistent with a nonunion fracture of the left inferior pubic ramus” – Meaning that the bones are still fractured, they are still separated, they are still broken
- “No evidence of sports hernia” – Which is self-explanatory and rules out what my doctor thought could be a possible problem in addition to my stress fracture
And that’s about all she could tell us. There is much more information on the results but there’s not much else I can figure out without the doctor’s explanation. SO, long story short, I’m still not sure what my doctor is going to suggest we do next. BUT I am going to focus on two positive things. One, there IS healing going on, even if it is slow… there IS healing. Second, I am going to be seeing a specialist. We are getting an appointment at the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic which is a local place that specializes in orthopedics and sports injuries. According to their site
The Steadman Clinic offers the very latest treatment options for orthopaedic injuries and disorders. Our experience and research have led to significant advances in the fields of orthopaedics and sports medicine. The physicians at The Steadman Clinic treat patients from all walks of life, including recreational and elite athletes from all over the world.
I have heard GREAT things about this place and am loving everything I am reading on their website here. I love the fact that they specialize in sports injuries and their beliefs. Why we didn’t go here from the start, I don’t know. But I am going to see someone there, regardless of what my doctor says, because I do not trust my doctor after all that has happened and I feel like this place will be more knowledgeable about my injury.
I appreciate the support and the concerns that you all have expressed and I will keep you updated on the goings-on!!
So I am trying to branch out a bit with my oats after drooling over Jess’s oat creations every single day. Enter Blueberries and Cream Oats
Ok so it’s not exactly SUPER creative but you know, baby steps…
And it was delicious!!! I made my usual base of whipped banana oats (1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water, pinch of salt, cinnamon 1/2 banana) to which I added frozen blueberries and 1/2 tbsp or so of Chia seeds.
I then topped the mixture with Greek yogurt and more blueberries. Mmmm purple oats make me a happy girl…
I then had a BOMB lunch!!
I first combined a “melted” banana with a tsp of peanut butter (I’m not sure who created this but I saw it on Freya’s blog) and then topped an Ezekial Cinnamon Raisin English Muffin (my last one 😦 ) with it. And THEN, a drizzle of real Maple Syrup.
Holy crap. This rocked my face… YUM!!!
I also had 2 slices of Boar’s Head Roast Chicken on the side.
And some steamed Brussel Sprouts. Let’s just say that I now know why many people hate Brussels. These things were gross… super mushy and had a funky taste.
They were in one of those “steam in a bag” packages..blech. I only ate a couple before tossing them. I hate wasting food but yeah…
I had an orange later on for a snack.
I have orange phases.. I’m strange. I go from hating them to loving them. I’m currently in a I-can’t-get-enough phase 🙂
I also had some plain Greek yogurt with TJ’s cereal (the honey-almond crunch? I can’t remember the name) for a snack later in the afternoon.
Dinner was also quite epic, I must say. Well part of it was..
I started with some leftover chicken
It was yummy but it wasn’t the star…
The star of the show was these sweet potato fries. My my my…
I thought they were going to be a disaster at first because we didn’t have cooking spray and I didn’t use enough olive oil on the baking sheet and so they stuck. And I forgot to put ground flax on them before baking, which I am currently obsessed with. ( I seasoned them with salt, agave, and cinnamon)
This was a beautiful disaster! They slightly stuck but the bottoms just ended up being brown and caramalized. But they were very fragile so I piled them in a bowl, topped with more Agave syrup and ground flax and took a fork to them.
OH MY. This called for my “super amazing food happy dance.” They were so soft inside, almost fluffly, and the flax seeds added after baking just added this whole new dimension. Probably my best batch yet.. which is saying something!!!
I also had a small scoop of Bruster’s mint chocolate chip ice cream that my mom brought me 🙂 She knows the way to my heart.
Today started with, perhaps, one of my best bowl of oats yet. I say that a lot, I know, but I swear… these were amazing!!
I started with the usual whipped oats and added 1/2 of an apple microwaved with apple pie spices and Chia seeds.
I then topped the bowl with peanut butter and a drizzle of real maple syrup.
The maple syrup took this bowl from good to incredible!! I forgot how good maple syrup is on oats! And a little bit of the real thing goes a loooong way…
And then for lunch, after lusting after my girl Gabriela’s salads for forever, I decided to make my own 🙂
This bowl of goodness contained:
- leftover roasted broccoli
- leftover chicken
Ok so I know the whole mustard/ketchup things sound weird but it was SO GOOD!!!! Seriously, one of the best salads that I’ve ever made. Would have been even better had I had hummus… but I was sadly out 😦 I know, the horror!
Thank you Gabriela for the idea!!!!
I also had an apple on the side.
I had an afternoon snack of a handful of Quaker Oatmeal Squares.
My mom came home from work, after going grocery shopping, and asked me if I wanted a glass of wine. Umm… do cows moo? Is the sky blue? Heck yes I want a glass of wine! So I had a small glass of White Zinfandel with dinner. We hardly ever have wine at home, especially during the week, but you know…sometimes wine is just necessary.
We also had salmon patties (salmon croquettes, some may call them), cornbread, and pinto beans.
A southern meal if I ever saw one.
Very simple, but VERY good.
P.S. Cornbread and pinto beans is like peanut butter and jelly. They are INCREDIBLE together. I crumble my cornbread into my beans and mix it all up… which doesn’t make for the most beautiful photographs but makes my tummy QUITE happy 🙂
And then I had a chocolate vita-top in an almost empty container of yogurt with some Dark Chocolate Dreams for dessert.
It has been QUITE a delicious day on the food front!
Other than my delicious eats, it has been a good day with slightly random events. And because I have nothing else to talk about, I will share. But feel free to skip this if you are so inclined…
- I talked to a friend that I work with (fyi, I work at an after-school program at a local elementary school with kindergarten and first graders) this afternoon who called to check on me and give me the daily goings-on in the outside world. Anyhow, he told me that my kids at work today, along with the other people I work with and the students in the other grades, made me get-well cards today And that my kids have been asking where I am. Bless 😦 I cried when he told me that and I haven’t even seen the cards yet! When I get them, I am going to be boo-hooing like a little baby. Kids may be annoying and make you want to pull your hair out at times but they really are a gift from God. I miss my babies!
- I watched The Proposal today because I needed a laugh and it worked!! If you haven’t seen it, check it out! It’s quite possibly one of the funniest movies that I have ever seen!
- If you know me, you know that I do not date. I just don’t. Well, I go out sometimes but I haven’t been serious about anyone in a long while because of past issues. But I recently met a guy that may, may, just prove all my views on guys and love wrong. And so I told my dad about said guy this evening and the first thing he says is “Is he good-looking?” Well dad, I’m glad you have your priorities straight 😉
- I’m getting out of my house with said guy on Saturday… sans crutches!!! According to my doctor and others that I’ve asked, one night without my crutches, as long as I don’t do a lot of walking, is not going to kill me. Can you tell I’m excited about leaving these darn things at home for one night? I think I deserve a little freedom and semblance of a normal life for at least one night, right?
- I woke up this morning with super sore abs… um strange much?! Did I work out in my sleep or something? Or do crutches use core strength..hmm..
And with that, I will leave you for the night. Have a great Friday! The weekend is almost here!!!